One of the biggest things I learned when I stepped into world of health and fitness was that nutrition and workouts go together like a please and thank you. If you focus on only one you are cutting yourself short. Focus on both and you're going to see your performance and weight progress get in line.
If you just eat healthy but aren't active no bueno. And conversely, if you work hard but eat crap, well you won't win the fight that way either. Shed your silent tear now and move on.
Bob Harper, Biggest Loser Trainer, was recently featured in The Huffington Post where Harper touts that nutrition is the center.
"It is all about your diet," Harper, 48, said during a break from filming Season 15 of the long-running U.S. show. "I used to think a long time ago that you can beat everything you eat out of you and it's just absolutely not the case."
IN THE BEGINNING
As a crossfit elements coach I get to speak with a broad range of people, from desk jockeys with zero activity to endurance athletes, strong men and everything in between. The most common issue I encounter on the nutrition front is a inability to cook. Very sad. Moving on. The next most common nutrition issue is athletes who are stuck in a rut cooking or buying the same old thing and don't think they can change. They simply don't know where to start. .
DON'T GET TOO COMPLICATED
Regardless of what you choose to do I believe the key to long-term nutrition change is not over complicating the matter. If you are making a life change it really needs to be easy to achieve FOR LIFE. And don't go b*lls out all at once making too many changes at the same time. Pick a few things a week to achieve. I know, there are those rare people who seem to be able to make super hero changes and not waiver. I bow to you all. They are few and far between friend. Once you have a regularity in your move on to adjusting your nutrition step-by-step.
WE ALL START SOMEWHERE
If you've been in or around the crossfit community for a while you likely know that many crossfitters subscribe to a paleo, zone or primal blueprint lifestyle. As prescribed by Crossfit HQ you should be eating:
- Nuts and berries
- Some fruit
- Little starches
- No sugar
RESOURCES AND SIMPLE FOOD IDEAS TO START
Below are a few resources to feed your brain and thereby the temple... check it out:
What is Paleo (from Balanced Bites)
Paleo Lifestyle Magazine
Nom Nom Paleo
Mark's Daily Apple
The Whole 30
Easy food/snack ideas to get you going:
- Boiled eggs: Boil a dozen up and use throughout the week as a quick on the go snack or part of lunch.
- Left overs from dinner: Cook good evening meals and make enough for lunch the next day. It will help you avoid making poor meal decisions when you are so hungry you want to chew your arm off.
- Kale chips: Super easy to make and have on hand as a snack.
- Avocado: Excellent on the go food. Slice in half and eat out of the husk.
- Nuts: Make small container with a handful of nuts. Stack them in the pantry for easy snacks or for packing a lunch.
- Seasonal fruits and vegies: If it's in season eat it. Fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, etc., etc. If Asian pears are in season grab one. Be adventurous.
So, let's get down to the bottom line. If you truly want to see progress and maximize your crossfit work then you need to make changes to your nutrition in addition to WODing regularly. Take that first step, make a few changes and then dive in.
Muchas gracias. ?Como puedo iniciar sesion?